Most trends generally last for one season or even become a year round trend but it seems the colour blocking trend which made a big comeback for spring/summer 2011, is still going strong. Personally, I’m not a big fan of this trend but it seems some designers and fashionistas are still quite infatuated with it. So I decided to show correct ways to colour block, we should learn how to master the look if this trend is to carry on and hopefully rid the streets of unsightly mix mash.
Colour blocking consist of combining two or more solid colours to create an outfit. As simple as it may sound, if it’s not done correctly you can end up looking like a big fashion disaster. The first thing to keep in mind is to choose colours that compliment your skin tone that would give you a flattering look.
Here are some tips to successively achieve the look:
- Match one or two colours with a neutral color like nude, caramel, white, grey, brown or black.
- Use accessories to add the pop and give a contrast of colour.
- Mix match two bright colours .
- Mix different hues of the same colour.
- Buy a color blocked piece and match with a solid colour.
Here are a few ideas you can try: